Town Specific Information
Reduce, Reuse and Buy Recycled
Hazardous Waste
Mercury Disposal
Brochures & Guides
School Resources
Frequently Asked Questions
Related Links


Don’t Let Your Unregistered Vehicle Go To Rust!
Donate it or Recycle it!

Junk and abandoned cars and trucks are unsightly and potentially dangerous. In addition to being an eyesore, abandoned vehicles left to rust in yards, wooded areas, and open spaces can damage the environment by leaking toxic fluids into groundwater. They also attract more illegal dumping.

How to Get Rid of a Vehicle You Don't Want
There are many charitable organizations that accept donations of working or repairable vehicles. There are also local businesses and individuals that will provide “junk auto” removal services. Instead of letting your unwanted vehicle rust in your driveway or backyard, turn it into a resource that provides money to a nonprofit organization or gets recycled into new steel products.

Donate Your Unwanted Vehicle
Working vehicles (and even those in need of minor repair) can be donated to a variety of charitable organizations. Most will accept cars, trucks, vans, fleet vehicles, trailers, boats, motorcycles, and RVs.  Depending on the condition of the vehicle and the charitable organization, donated vehicles may be sold or given to low income families, sold at auction, or salvaged. 

Many charitable organizations work with a third party to handle vehicle donations. The following agencies handle car donations for a variety of organizations:

www.DonateACar.com or 800-237-5714
www.800charitycars.org or 800-242-7489
www.auto-donation.com or 800-456-5517

Some national charitable organizations have specific websites and programs for vehicle donations. Check the listings below, or conduct your own Internet search.

www.donateyourcar.com or 800-586-4227, to support the American Lung Association
www.cardonations.com or 800-936-4361, to support the American Diabetes Association
www.Donate-Car-for-Charity.com or 888-831-1352, to support the Family Care Foundation
www.goodwillcardonation.org or 866-233-8586, to support Goodwill
www.helpinghandsofamerica.org or 888-881-9090, to support Helping Hands of America 
https://www.kars4kids.org/  or 877-527-7454, to support Jewish Youth programs    
www.kidney.org or 800-488-2277, to support the National Kidney Foundation
http://massri.wheelsforwishes.org or 855-692-9474, to support Make-a-Wish 
www.cardonationfoundation.org to support Vehicles for Veterans

Charitable organizations accept a wide range of vehicles. They typically provide pick-up at no charge through local towing companies. Please note that the list above is not inclusive and information on donation opportunities and criteria may change. By listing these agencies the District is not endorsing their services. 

Some local and national charitable organizations, churches, and civic groups handle their own vehicle donations. Contact the charity of your choice or check their website to see if they accept vehicle donations. 

Most organizations require that you have the vehicle title in order to donate it. You will also need to provide the organization with the vehicle’s year, mileage, VIN, make, model, and condition.  Contact the organization directly for vehicle age/condition restrictions. The information will also be on the donation website. If you do not have the title, the organization may still be able to accept the vehicle if you have other proof of vehicle ownership, such as an old registration. 

Have the Vehicle Hauled for Recycling
There are many local businesses and individuals who provide scrap metal recycling services. Several are listed below. The person doing the hauling will help you assess any costs when you call. Generally, the cost, if any, depends on the location of the vehicle and the age/condition of the vehicle. Typically, vehicles must be cleaned out and any trash or extra tires removed. 

Some questions to ask:
Is there a removal fee? 
Is the title required? What can I do if I don’t have the title?
What sort of vehicle preparation is required?

Area businesses that offer towing of vehicles for metal recycling: 

  •  Auto Salvage of Greenfield   (800) 322-3046
  •  Byrne Used Vehicles/Towing, Greenfield  (413) 772-1199
  •  Leon Sirum & Co., Inc., Greenfield  (413) 774-3740
  •  Speedway Metals, Greenfield   (413) 774-3664
  •  Bernardston Auto Wrecking, Bernardston  (413) 648-9300
  •  Stagecoach Auto Repair, Charlemont  (413) 339-8515
  •  EAD Trucking, Whately   (413) 218-9013

Please note that this list is not inclusive. The District does not guarantee that the businesses listed above are in compliance with applicable local, state, and federal requirements. The District is not endorsing any specific business.

Who Do I Notify about an Abandoned Vehicle in a Public Space? 
Contact your local town office or police department.

Are Unregistered Vehicles Allowed on Private Property?
Ordinances regarding unregistered vehicles on private property vary from town to town. Some towns allow one unregistered vehicle per household, while others do not. Some also provide special permits to allow households to have additional unregistered vehicles. Check with your local town office or police department about regulations.

Franklin County Solid Waste Management District
50 Miles Street
Greenfield, MA 01301
Tel: (413) 772-2438
MA Relay for the hearing impaired: 711 or 1-800-439-2370 (TTY/TDD)
Fax: (413) 772-3786
Email: info@franklincountywastedistrict.org

This website is made possible through a grant from the 
USDA Rural Utilities Service.
FCSWMD is an equal opportunity provider.
Full Equal Opportunity Disclosure Statement.