Town Specific Information
Reduce, Reuse and Buy Recycled
Hazardous Waste
Mercury Disposal
Brochures & Guides
School Resources
Frequently Asked Questions
Related Links

Franklin County, Massachusetts 


IF YOU NEED TO REACH US, CALL 772-2438 OR EMAIL info@franklincountywastedistrict.org

Sharps Disposal Program

The Solid Waste District provides free one quart or one gallon sharps boxes to residents who use needles and lancets. Once a sharps box is full, you can bring it to one of eight Franklin County locations, and pick up an empty sharps box to take home. This program is open to residents of Bernardston, Buckland, Charlemont, Colrain, Conway, Deerfield, Erving, Gill, Greenfield, Hawley, Heath, Leverett, Montague, New Salem, Northfield, Orange, Rowe, Shelburne, Sunderland, Warwick, Wendell, and Whately. There is no charge to residents for use of the program. You may use whichever collection site is most convenient for you.  

Safe disposal of sharps protects recycling and trash collection workers, as well as family members of sharps users. Help us prevent unintended needle sticks – use our sharps collection program from now on. 

Sharps boxes may be picked up and dropped off at these locations:

Franklin County Solid Waste District, 117 Main St., 2nd Floor., Greenfield.  Hours vary  Call to schedule: 772-2438

Greenfield Health Department, 20 Sanderson St., Greenfield. Monday-Friday 9 - 4   

Heath Town Nurse, 1 East Main St., Heath.  Tues. 12:15-1:15 & Thurs. 11-1

Montague Board of Health, Town Hall, 1 Avenue A, Turners Falls. Wed. 10:30-12:30  Call first 863-3200 ext. 205 

New Salem Board of Health, 19 So. Main St., New Salem. Mon. 9-11   

Orange Board of Health, 135 East Main St., Orange. Mon.-Thurs. 8-1  Call 544-1107 for appointment

Rowe Town Nurse, 321 Zoar Rd., Rowe.   M, W, F  9-5

Whately Health Center - Dr. Jones, 181 State Rd, Whately.   Tues. 9-12  


Franklin County Solid Waste Management District 
117 Main St., 2nd Floor
Greenfield, MA 01301
Tel: (413) 772-2438
MA Relay for the hearing impaired: 711 or 1-800-439-2370 (TTY/TDD)
Fax: (413) 772-3786
Staff email addresses 

This website is made possible through a grant from the 
USDA Rural Utilities Service.
FCSWMD is an equal opportunity provider.
Full Equal Opportunity Disclosure Statement.